- "Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep." -- Fran Lebowitz
- "There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep." -- Homer
- "People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." -- Leo J. Burke
- "I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting." -- Mark Twain
- "All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." -- Plutarch
- "It is better to sleep on things beforehand than lie awake about them afterwards." -Baltasar Gracien"
- "Even where sleep is concerned, too much is a bad thing." -- Homer
- "Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone." -- Anthony Burgess
- "That we are not much sicker and much madder than we are is due exclusively to that most blessed and blessing of all natural graces, sleep." -- Aldous Huxley
- "For sleep, one needs endless depths of blackness to sink into; daylight is too shallow, it will not cover one." -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- "There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more."
-- Woody Allen
- "If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep."
- "A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep."
- "Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep: And yet a third of Life is passed in sleep."
-- Lord Byron
- "Living is a disease from which sleep gives us relief eight hours a day."
-- S. R. N. Chamfort
- "A light supper, a good night's sleep and a fine morning have often made a hero out of the same man, who, by indigestion, a restless night and a rainy morning would have proved a coward."
-- Lord Chesterfield 1694-1773
- "Nice guys finish last, but we get to sleep in."
-- Evan Davis
- "Children have more energy after a hard day of play than they do after a good night's sleep."
-- R. F Gumperson
- "To achieve the impossible dream, try going to sleep." -- Joan Klempner
- "The repose of sleep refreshes only the body. It rarely sets the soul at rest. The repose of the night does not belong to us. It is not the possession of our being. Sleep opens within us an inn for phantoms. In the morning we must sweep out the shadows."
-- Gaston Bachelard
- "And if tonight my soul may find her peace
in sleep, and sink in good oblivion,
and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower
then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created."
-- D. H. Lawrence
- "Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast."
-- William Shakespeare
- "In Sleep we lie all naked and alone, in Sleep we are united at the heart of night and darkness, and we are strange and beautiful asleep; for we are dying the darkness and we know no death."
-- Thomas Wolfe